Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Yesterday we took the crew to Six Flags. It was a daunting task, but we managed through. The kids had a great time. It was fun to have their friends with them. We ended up staying until they booted us out of the park at 8 pm. I was proud of myself for making the drive into NE DC with five kids, and then returning at the end of the day with all five, and correctly navigating the belt loop and DC traffic with out Jeremy. The kids were great. We only had one "tween" incident. The older girls seemed to think that they were old enough to go around the park unsupervised. The other mom's didn't have a problem with it. I just wasn't ready to release my 10 year old into a park that is located in the middle of NE DC. I was the wet blanket when I told them that I did not care what their girls did, but Hannah was not going to be able to join them unless one of the moms went off with them. Not wanting to leave Hannah out, one of the moms agreed to stay with the older group, and the other two of us took the younger group around. About halfway through the day, the resentment of the tween group grew, and they met up with me to beg me to allow Hannah to go off with them. I told them that they could go on, and I would keep Hannah. A couple of hours later, the daughter of the supervising Mom had had enough, and mutinied. She yelled at her mom that she was not going to have a grown up follow them around anymore, and then ran off. The rest of the pack, including Hannah followed. We met up with the mom a few minutes later, and she tearily told us what had happened, and what direction that the girls had headed off to. I headed up my little possy and marched off to find them. I spotted them within minutes, and I could tell by the look on Hannah's face that she saw the storm a commin'. I laid into her, called Jeremy and let him lay into her, and then grounded her to my side for the rest of the day, and from friends for the rest of the week. It was a hard lesson to learn.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: